Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Potty Boot Camp: Day I

I'm a BIG kid now!

Today was day numero uno of potty training my now 3 year old. This is the first I have attempted this with Luke, and I couldn't have asked for a better kid! He started off the day saying his usual when we asked if he wanted to go pee in the potty, which is "tomorrow". My mom babysat him today and finally got him saying "TODAY"- which was a big improvement!

We started the "Potty Party" around 2 p.m. I put Max down for a nap and then the fun began. I read a great book called "potty train your child in just one day" before hand which gave me a lot of tips for a successful training. Thanks Brittany for letting me know about this book!

Here are some things we did to make it FUN rather than FRUSTRATING:


  • I gave Luke a little boy doll which we named Buddy. Luke helped me potty-train Buddy by watching potty movies, reading potty books, and helping Buddy sit on his little toilet. After Buddy was trained Luke thought it was pretty fun and wanted to try it out for himself!
  • We had a "party" all day and just read books and colored while sitting on a blanket in the family room.
  • We made a potty chart for Luke and Buddy.
  • Of course there was plenty of prizes and treats to help bribe and spent the entire day on the potty every 10 minutes.
  • Together we threw away all of his diapers (which I later grabbed and hid for Max one day)
  • We called Grandma once he did it and he was able to hear how happy and proud she was of him!
Here is the score for the first day of training:

5 in the potty
&
1 on the kitchen chair/floor


Pretty good for the first day, don't you think?! I have to say that he did amazing and learned so much today. Way to go Luke! We will see what tomorrow brings, I will cross my fingers!!


And of course Max couldn't let Luke get all of the spotlight....while we were cheering Luke on we looked over to find him in the middle of the room walking all by himself!

My babies are all grown up!!


14 comments:

Unknown said...

You didn't tell me about Max walking last night! We knew he would. He's been soooo close. And we are all so proud of Luke. GO LUKE GO!!!! Luke you are such a big boy now!! You and Buddy are awesome!!

Brittany said...

I am so happy to hear how good Luke did! I love the pictures! They are so fun, and will make a great scrapbook page!

Congrats on Max Walking too!! That is fun!!

Cute slide show of the party!! It was fun! And your cake was awesome!

The Hornes said...

Way to go Luke and way to go Jana. Potty training is hard for everyone involved. Just keep with it and remember accidents happen. Before you know it you will be saying wow Luke you can do it all by your self and I don't even have to help at all. :)

The Hornes said...

Oh yeah, Way to go Max too! I cant believe how big he is getting. These little guys are growing up too fast.

Anonymous said...

Way to go! Great accomplishments for 2 of my favorite boys! How did today go?

Leisa said...

Your background is so cute!
Way to go Luke! From what I hear potty training is quite the chore but it looks like you did a great job. What a great Mom!

Michele said...

that big picture of him with his potty chart all proud of himself is the cutest thing ever! i cant help but smile when i look at it! and i cant believe your baby is walking... thats too fast, he was just 6 months old it seems like. those are darling pictures too, he looks so excited.
and your party invites are so dang cute... did you make them? i need to learn to do stuff like that. you should teach me!

Jana Banana said...

Emma- Luke did great again today :) He only had one 1/2 accident (he made it to the toilet a little too late)- but he did AWESOME!! I am so happy with his progress, he has been amazing!

Michele- Yes, I made the invites on photoshop. I love photoshop and would be happy to teach you any time, just ask :)

Thanks!

Jen said...

If I remember right, Jana, you will get SUED if you teach ANYONE ANYTHING about photoshop!?! I remember Ike's blog about it. :) But if you are willing to take the risk, will you teach me too?

lindsi said...

Good luck on the potty training...hope it goes well!!! I hated having to stay home for a week straight, but it's so worth it in the end!

Esther said...

How's the Potty Training going today?

On an unrelated note: I'm ready to make my blog look all Mormon/mommy cute. Can you help me?

Jana Banana said...

Hi Esther!

It is day 4 and Luke has done awesome! He had no accidents yesterday OR today!

I would be happy to help you anytime with your blog :) Come over sometime and we can make yours ultra cute! (i am trying to be cheesy!)

Jon & Kim said...

WOW lots going on. Way to go boys! Fun party, I love all the cute pictures!

April said...

Jana,
I can't believe I found you online. How long has it been? I hope you remember me from high school when you were dating Scott (I think). I love your blog and I'm interested in how to potty train a child as I'll need to do it sooner than later. Email me if you want to see my blog. april.vicchrilli@hotmail.com

April Gold Vicchrilli