Thursday, September 18, 2008

Trying out the Peanut Butter

Some fun things happen once little babies turn one, like switching from formula to whole milk, and being able to try peanut butter! Max had a small bite of my mom's peanut butter sandwich about a week ago- so I figured he was good to go with no allergies to peanuts. So yesterday I gave him some peanut butter cereal to snack on and I didn't think much of it when he started rubbing his left eye. It turned bright red, but I thought he just got a crumb in it or something. Then today, I gave him some more of the cereal and the exact same thing happened to his other eye! It turned bright red and watery and he wouldn't stop rubbing it. I of course panicked and started searching online for symptoms of peanut allergies but couldn't get much information....other then to watch them closely for the next couple hours if you suspected anything as it can be deadly!! His eye slowly went back to normal, so don't worry :)

Does anyone have any experience with this?! Max has his one year doctor appointment in a few weeks, so I can ask the doc then. I for sure won't be giving him any more peanut butter anytime soon- even though I am curious to see if it would happen again or if it was just a coincidence. I wish I took a picture to show you, but you will just have to settle for this silly picture of all three of my boys with a sticker on their heads....I know, totally unrelated!

7 comments:

Jen said...

Love the new background...way cute!! You need to teach me how to do that. I'm glad little Max is okay. I hope he's not allergic to peanuts. It seems so many things are made from peanut oil or in the same manufacturer peanuts are made in, etc. Be sure to ask his doctor about that during his next appointment.

That picture of your boys is so cute. Ike fits right in with them, doesn't he?

I can't wait to see you guys the next time we come down. It probably won't be until December, but I can't wait!

Anonymous said...

Corbin wasn't allergic, so I wouldn't have a clue about what to do! I wonder if it's just the cereal he's having a reaction to and not peanut butter directly since he didn't have a problem with your moms sandwich!!! It would stink something fierce if he was allergic to peanuts though, I dated a guy that was and I swear he couldn't eat ANYTHING!!! he had to check every label on anything he ate. yuck. Let us know!!!

And your new blog layout is ultra cute!!!

Katie said...

I think I heard that doctor's recommend waiting until kids are older to give them peanuts now because allergies have become so severe. I could be wrong though.
We still haven't really given Kamryn any peanuts even though she did find one on the floor and ate it. She didn't have any kind of reaction though so I think we are okay. I'm just paranoid and it will be awhile before we give her anything with peanuts!
I hope Max isn't allergic, that would not be a fun thing to have to deal with!

Cheeseboy said...

grrrrreat picture!

Rachelle said...

Jana,
My friends little boy has peanut allergies. She said the first time she gave him peanuts he started having a hard time breathing (weezing) and his lips started turning blue. They had to give him benedryl and take him to the ER. It sounds like Max may have had some reaction but doesn't seem to be too severe. It is a good thing to bring up with your doctor and they may run some test just to make sure. I love the picture...such a cute family!

Woolf Family said...

an allergic reaction usually dosen't start the first time you give it to them it is usually the second or third time

Jon & Kim said...

Unrelated...but soooo cute. Funny boys!

See you at the butt crack of dawn!!!