Monday, March 09, 2009

pssssst......

So. One of my New Year's resolutions was to wear more stylish shoes. I know to some that might sound kind of stupid, and I agree with you, kind of. I don't own any high-heels (maybe one pair I bought for a few $ but seriously never wear them) and I tend to buy the same shoes over and over, just in a different color. So I used some hard earned money and set off to DSW in search of some sort of something different, cool, and oh so stylin'. They have an amazing clearance section and with the help of my sis-in-law KJ, I was able to turn down all of the shoes I normally would try on for some with wedges and heels.

Well, yesterday was Sunday, and I was able to sport my new shoes. I learned rather quickly that they are not very comfortable. They were comfy in the store! How do people wear these things longer than a few hours? I wanted to take them off after 2 minutes! Ouch!!! And I could hardly walk without almost tipping over. I swear everyone was looking at me thinking "she is such a dork. look at how high those heels are. she should not be wearing those, they are sooo not her". So, yea, I was pretty self-conscious the entire time and contemplated taking them off at church, but then thought people would really start staring at me.

After church I made it out of the chapel and into the parking lot without falling. Ike was talking with a neighbor and I was patiently waiting for him, still wanting to rip these shoes off....when out of nowhere, a little girl in the ward who is probably 6 came up to me at softly patted my shoulder and whispered into my ear...."pssssttt (she really said psssttt!).....I really love your shoes". She gave me a big smile, and ran off to her mom who was waiting for her.

So, now I don't know what to think. Do I trust the 6 year old or do I go back to my old comfy shoes?

Maybe I can handle these with practice, we will see.

13 comments:

Brittany said...

You make me laugh...but I totally agree...I love the LOOK of the shoes, but when I put them on, they are so UNCOMFORTABLE!!! How can anyone wear them!?!?! Maybe they are so used to wearing ubcomfortable shoes, that it is normal to them! Every once in awhile you can find cute and cofortable shoes, but I don't think it happens often. I am such a comfort person...and I have always thought you have cute shoes!! But...hey if a 6 year thinks they are cute..it might be worth the pain! :)

Thanks again for the working out with me this morning!

Lindsey said...

I say go with the 6 year old and suck it up. You'll get used to them.

Anonymous said...

I say comfort is everything! And you always look darling!

Anonymous said...

Your feet will get to a point where they are so calloused you can't tell. Just ask my sister in law.- Jord

Anonymous said...

Well, at least you didn't fall on your face! I was waiting for you to say something like that, so I'm glad that didn't happen. I have NEVER once in my life worn shoes with heals, so I am not the one to ask.

Katie said...

Did this little girl have short, blonde hair? It sounds like something she would say! :)

I, like you, wore heels to church yesterday and by the time Sacrament meeting rolled around I had a blister on my pinky toe. What's the deal with that?! I don't know if the pain is worth it! I wore my ugly pink crocs the rest of the day!

I missed seeing your shoes though, so you might have to wear them again just for me! :)

Holt's in da House said...

ah, now, remember, those shoes (pictured) were first out in the druggie 70s and so maybe no one knew pain for all the drugs...LOL

Anonymous said...

Kids don't lie... adults do. The fact that no adult women came up to you and told you how hot you looked is probably because they were all jealous. The fact that a six year old went out of her way to tell you... means you trust her judgment instead. All cute shoes are uncomfortable which is why I don't wear them! That... and I'm already a giant and don't need to tower any higher over people than I already do :)

Michele said...

you are so funny jana. different things make people feel so self conscious... i would never think someone was looking at my shoes, but i always think that about my hair and make up. i never try anything different because i feel the same way you just described! i say go for the cute shoes. you will learn to love them. give it some time and i bet you wont go back to your comfy ones!

Megan Di said...

Shoes with heels are the only way to go. I wear them mostly because they make anyone look thinner but then again, you don't need that . . .
My vote is to give it another try.

Leisa said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Leisa said...

I never wore heels either until this last year. I'm not really sure why I do though because as you know it's not that easy running after a toddler in them. If I were you I would give it another try. I bet you look so dang cute.

Jon & Kim said...

So fun to read all of your posts, I have not looked at your blog for a while. Keep the shoes Jana I am sure they look so cute on you. I am proud of you for taking the plunge!!!