Tuesday, March 03, 2009

bum bum ouchy

We need some major help over here! Max, as usual, has some poopin' problems....which has given him some bum bum problems....which makes changing his diaper just torture, for him and his mommy and daddy! I am calling on all you experienced bum bum experts. What are some tricks of the trade for treating diaper rash? It is pretty bad, open sores and such, and he just keeps poopin' away before it can heal. I feel so bad for him, poor boy!

13 comments:

Katie said...

Kenadie had severe diaper rash when she was 11 months old due to a stomach virus. She had constant diarhhea and vomiting and it was awful! My grandma told me to use cornstarch on her bum at each diaper change, it helps to dry out the rash and it worked like a charm!

Good luck!

Lindsey said...

oh, we have those problems all the time over here. I've finally narrowed it down to bananas. Avery has to stay far away from bananas. They just make her burn. As far as the rash, letting her air it out always works. I also use the good A&D ointment stuff. Not the white stuff, the yellow stuff. Put that on and then some baby powder and it seems to do the trick. I think neosporin and cornstarch would do the same thing. Good luck. v

James, Amber, Wyatt & Eliza said...

Wyatt gets really bad diaper rashes like that all the time. The only thing that I have found that works for him is Aveeno baby diaper rash cream and I've tried them all (I like A&D for smaller red rashes but not if the skin has sores or is bleeding). Aveeno is pretty pricy but worth it for those really bad ones. If you do use it put it on pretty thik the first couple times to help avoid any pee or poo from directly contacting the rash and sores. Aveeno baby also makes an oatmeal bath that might help too. Also when we get Wyatt out of the bath we don't dry him off, we just wrap a towel around him and let him dry off while we watch one of his movies. It's a lot better to let their skin dry on it's own and let the rash breath, it seems to help Wyatt's heal a little faster. I know that's a lot of info but I hope it helps.

James, Amber, Wyatt & Eliza said...

Oh yeah...you can find the cream at Walmart and sometimes Albertsons. I don't remember where I got the oatmeal bath but I think most stores have it.

Anonymous said...

i think bathing him often and letting him run around bottomless works--It always helped my kids to have a long warm bath...then put some neosporin on about an hour after they'd been running around.

Woolf Family said...

sometimes Maalox helps it's an antacid. and Lanolin cream helps my girls when they get really bad I would alternative the lanolin and the Maalox

Ike said...

Hmmm. Sounds like it might be all the bananas Max has been eating. Thanks Lindsey. Max does eat a LOT of bananas. Better cut back.

Mom, we can't leave his diaper off, especially now when he has diarrhea. We've tried it and before 5 minutes have passed we have poop on the floor. Not fun.

Funny post Jana. Glad we have wise friends to help. I'll be home soon.

Leisa said...

I have bathed Kylie nightly since she was born and she has only ever had one diaper rash which was because she was sick but it was very minor and only lasted for like two hours. I don't know if you bath Max as often but I think that is the biggest cure. I swear by vaseline (cheaper than other things out there) and baby powder if I do see one coming on and it is always gone quickly and doesn't sting...which is so nice. I actually try to use the baby powder on every diaper change to prevent them from happening and to have a nice smelling bum. Good luck! I know it's hard seeing them suffer.

Cheeseboy said...

My best advice is to put a "catch bag" on him rather than a diaper. Kinda like the horses downtown have. It would keep his bottom airy and dumping it would be easy. Of course, he would not be able to sit down, but he is always on the move anyway, right?

Kristin said...

Hey Jana! Have had my share of bad bums...here are a few things I've tried: My nurse told me to blow dry the bum (it's just like airing out only faster) so you're not sealing in wetness under the cream. I like A&D yellow cream too, or aquaphor but it's more $$. A couple of times I've had to get a prescription diaper cream because sometimes those sores that won't heal are actually a yeast or bacterial infection, and they go away in like a day with a steriod/anti-yeast cream. I'm sorry I know it sucks hating to change a diaper because it's so sad! Good luck!

Anonymous said...

such a cute picture of max!

Jana Banana said...

Thanks for your comments everyone! We finally got rid of this nasty rash with your help! Cutting out the bananas and baths seemed to help the most.

Thanks again! You all know so much!!

Anonymous said...

So I know I'm belated, but I swear by Bag Balm. It's sort of like vaseline, but it's medicated and it lasts FOREVER! I got some right before Corbin was born and I still have 3/4 of a can...and he'll be 2 years old next month. The stuff is amazing! Plus not only can you use it on bums, it helps chapped lips, heels, knees, elbows, hands... you name it!