Monday, May 18, 2009

our {awesome} trip to Cali....

with....zero....kids!

We just got back from one of the funnest trips! We were invited to join our friends and go to California for a week. We did tons of fun stuff and left the kids home for 8 days! Yes, I typed that right. EIGHT!
We are sad it is over...but by the end we were ready to hug our sweet boys again.

Here is a {sort of brief, but not really} run down of what we did. If you just want to look at the pictures and not read my ramblings...I'd totally understand! I think this is the longest post in Jana's Blog history.

Thursday:
Dropped the kids off at my brothers to sleep since we had to get up early. Hugged and Kissed my babies good-bye. It was hard for me to leave them, but it made it easier knowing how excited Luke was for all of his sleepovers!

Friday:
took off at 6:20 a.m. and arrived in California around 4 p.m. We stayed in a beautiful hotel/condo that our Friends hooked us up with basically for free. It had a full kitchen, 2 bathrooms, 2 separate bedrooms, and a spacious family room.

Saturday:
This was a fun day spent at the beach. We drove to BalBoa Beach and took the car on a ferry to BalBoa Island. We rented bikes for an hour and rode them along the beach. I felt like a kid again. Then we had fun shopping and had the best fresh corn dogs ever!


That night we went to an Angels Baseball game! I admit I didn't really watch much of the game...but I am pretty sure the Angels won as there was a few fireworks at the end.

The stadium was amazing.


Sunday:
Mother's Day!
We were good kids and found a church to attend....boy were we surprised when we show up and it is a Polynesian ward, and the meeting was spoken in a different language with a little bit of English thrown in! It was a fun surprise! They were so sweet and gave all of the mothers homemade candy leis, and a few hugs and kisses. They gave me and Ashley 2 leis each. One of mine was made out of chocolate balls. By the end of the meeting, this is what I looked like......

It was pretty funny!! I had no idea until I started smelling a very strong scent of chocolate. It got EVERYWHERE!!

Later that day we relaxed by the pool and went to a movie. The boys went to the Star Trek movie (after Ike talked Billy into it) and the girls went to 17 again. It was a fun Mother's Day....but we missed our Mothers and kids!


Monday:
I'd say this was one of the funnest days. Me and Ashley went and got a Pedicure and a Wax at a really nice spa. It was fun to pamper ourselves and just relax. My feet are usually extremely ticklish...but I made it through with only a few twitches and giggles.


After we went to stand in line for JAY LENO! It was awesome to see the studio and see the show live. We watched it that night and tried to listen to us laughing, but only heard one little sound from Ashley. Ike's loud laughs didn't even make it, I was shocked!



This picture is after the show. They said NO PICTURES...but Ike makes his own rules as you can see

That night we had a yummy dinner with some friends of the DeWaal's,
and then made our way to Hollywood Boulevard where we got a $50 parking ticket! We were literally parked there for no more than 25 minutes, and the ticket was written about 2 minutes after we parked. I don't know if I'd say the Hollywood Boulevard experience was worth the $50, but what can you do. We did get this awesome picture of Ike with his favorite movie star's Star!!

(I hope you know I am kidding)



Tuesday and Wednesday:

These days were spent in the magical world of Disneyland! 2 full days of fun without kids crying or pushing strollers around. I have to say that I felt very guilty being there without Luke. He would have loved it, but it was great not having to worry about anything but ourselves.....as selfish as that sounds!! It was a blast...but 2 days is plenty for me!







Thursday:
Checked out of the hotel and drove to St. George. We spent the night at my Aunt and Uncle's house and continued our drive home on Friday.

Finally! We were back home to see our boys! I had forgotten what they looked like....seriously! 8 days away is so long, and I think they were ready to be home too.

One of the best trips ever.

When we showed Luke our pictures he said in a sad little voice,
"Next time you go to Disneyland, can I come?
"

Poor kid.

We had the time of our life though, and I wouldn't change a thing!
Thanks DeWaals for the fun times! We hope you will still be our friends after getting to know us so well!!

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

JEALOUS! I would love to have a fun vacation with no kiddies. I love my kids, but the break would be more than welcome... looks like you guys had a rad time!

Leisa said...

How fun! Eight days away from kids? Ouch! I don't know if I could do it.

Funny...I got lei's for mother's day at a Samoan ward in Cali too. Good times!

Melissa said...

I'm glad you guys had a good time away and a good break from parenting. Your pictures all look great. Especially the Jay Leno one. :)

The Hood's said...

Good for you guys! What a fun time..... and don't worry, once Luke is a parent he will totally understand!:)

Jen said...

I've been waiting for this post after reading all of your status updates on facebook. Looks like such a fun trip. I am so jealous! We should go on a trip sometime! :)

Brittany said...

What a fun post...awesome pictures...and I am so glad you had a fun time!! I would love to do a trip like that sometime!! So jealous!!! (Oh, and I love Luke's response to seeing you in pictures as Disneyland!)

Heather and Jake said...

haha that was really funny to see your chocolate stained shirt. Whoops! Glad you guys had such a fun time...makes me totally want to go to Disneyland now!

Unknown said...

Luke and Max did miss you guys but they also had a lot of fun. Why. at our house alone they got to go to the blue park, the red park and the yellow park. Plus McDonalds and Artic Circle playgrounds. And two great walks! How much more fun can you have than that!?! (Okay, Disneyland would have topped the fun pyramid for the boys!)

Michele said...

sooo fun. and soo jealous you got away from your kids! im glad you guys had such a good time!

Debi said...

Looks like fun! I bet it was so relaxing!

Amy said...

How fun! Way jealous!!! One day I'll have a vacation without kids, one day! :)
Jay Leno is awesome, went to a show years ago and loved it. Fun experience. Sad he is leaving the Tonight Show.
Glad you guys had fun!

Anonymous said...

We had fun with Luke and Max....they seemed to have fun with you, too. I think they ate a lot of crap while you were gone!

lindsi said...

Sounds fabulous!!! Glad you guys were able to get away for awhile!